Friday, September 24, 2010

To Spank or Not to Spank..and with what?



When I was coming up my mom was the kind of parent that just didn't take any shit. Her motto was "one time." I'm going to tell you one time, ask you one time, and call you one time. If there was a second that you hesitated you better be prepared for the consequences. My mom had several tools in her arsenal of discipline one being the wooden spoon. The wooden spoon, that innocent tool designed to blend sauces, was disciplinary perfection. It was light, easy to hold, and always within reach. When you heard the drawer open with that sliding rustle you had better run and commit to running...for a long time.

The wooden spoon was used frequently in my house because between my older twin brothers and me, we were always up to no good. I remember one time I thought it would be "fun" to jump out of the bushes and spray the mailman with the hose. I mean, hello it was summer! He, however, did not find it as amusing and quickly reported me. It was too late to make a break for it so I had to just stand and take it.  I'll never forget thinking I wished I had better sneakers because my Pro Keds made me slow. As I weaved and bobbed my way through my spanking I just couldn't understand why with all this practice jumping I could never master double dutch.

I don't have kids but if I did I know I wouldn't use a wooden spoon. I think I'll try my dad's technique,  "Now Robin, can you tell me why you made such a poor choice for yourself and embarrassed your entire family?"  "Um...well...i thought it was funny." That's right, it's still my go to answer.

So my friends, to spank or not to spank?

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious read.

    I honestly cannot say whether to spank or not to spank, cause it all depends. I have never spanked any of my daughters but it's more of my being damn near abused in my younger years. So, I just made the decision to take away privileges as a form of disclipline.

    I feel you on the weaving and bobbing and sometimes reaching out and grabbing the belt, phone cord, extension cord, switch, you name it.

    ReplyDelete